fbpx

Z pasji do wody i tradycji

Ołowianka, Motława. Miasto Gdańsk,
Olowianka Island 1902

Olowianka Island

Olowianka Island – spewed today by the waters of Motława and the Stępka Canal, just like (Granary Island) was not always an island. This became so in 1576 after digging the Stepka Canal. Before the leadwarehouses stood on it, from which the island took its name, there were, among others, carpentry workshops, boatbuilding workshops, a small repair yard, and above all, granaries. The oldest ones were built at the beginning of the 15th century. In 1454 Kazimierz Jagiellończyk handed over the areas of the later island to the city with the recommendation to build a “good granary for storing our grain”. The three-storey Royal Granary in its present form dates back to the beginning of the 17th century, while others were rebuilt only a few decades ago.

Przepompownia Ołowianka, Motława, Gdańsk
Olowianka Island 1929
Ołowianka, Motława, Gdańsk
Sewage pumping station 1890

The functional use of the island has changed over the years, especially the 19th century brought many changes in infrastructure and the destiny of the island. When the economic and commercial significance of granaries and lead warehouses diminished (nota bene once imported by way of water from around Olkusz), rowing clubs found their place on the island, and recreation areas were also located here. At the same time, the municipal 15 sewage pumping station was built in the 1860s and 1870s with its characteristic chimney which has survived to this day.
At the end of the century of steam and electricity, the municipal power station stood on the Olowianka which after the Second World War was rebuilt into a combined heat and power plant.
After its closure, the buildings of the former power plant were transformed into the Baltic Philharmonic. Currently, after a thorough reconstruction, they form the Music and Congress Centre.
The western wharf, which can be admired from Motlava, was created in the present shape just a few years ago as a kilometer-long walking route.
The Olowianka can be reached via two bridges spread over the Stepka Canal or a drawbridge, connecting the banks of the Motława River.

Stepka Canal 1909
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

See more entries

Tourist Cruises

Get to know the history of Gdańsk during our cruises

Cruise around Gdańsk​
Cruise around Shipyard
Sunset cruise
Night cruise
Boat rental
Skip to content